Leading sector initiative of telecom operators have held its 9th CSR Forum to raise awareness on Circular Economy trends and new regulations
Macao — (January 15 & 16, 2020) — the Joint Audit Cooperation (JAC) kicked off it’s 9th CSR forum in Macau together with it’s 17 member companies. This forum had a strong focus on circular economy this year.
FIVE THINGS YOU CAN’T MISS
Presentation of CSR Solutions by Startups
The forum started officially in the afternoon of January 15 with presentations from four startup CSR solution providers.
- ClearPlate: An Innovative Tool To Reduce Food Waste
- GetKno: Real-time Transparency For Factory Efficiency
- Whole Link: Cloud Platform of Smart Logistics
- Insentek: Intelligent Sensor For A Sustainable Agriculture
Annually year the JAC CSR forum allows participants to get insight from some of the ICT’s biggest names; it also gives the opportunity to connect with the most innovative mindset in the field of sustainability.
Circular Economy Roundtable Discussions
In this session, more than 160 participants divided into four round table discussions:
- Round Table 1: Zero Waste,
- Round Table 2: Energy de-carbonization
- Round Table 3: Eco-design
- Round Table 4: Supply chain engagement
All the roundtable discussions allowed the participants to talk with experienced peers in the field, to test and refine ideas; and to network with like-minded individuals who could be helpful for further discussion and exchange in the future.
“JAC is not only about the cooperation in carrying out audits together.” said by Mr. Matthieu BELLOIR, Chief CSR Officer at Orange Group, “It’s a totally new way of thinking and working between competitors and partners in this changing and challenging world.”
This year, four JAC members – Deutsche Telekom, Elisa, KPN and Orange, have presented the JAC updates on the stage. In the presentation JAC announced their main achievements of 2019 and their new strategies of 2020.
Achievements of 2019
- Set up a JAC work stream aimed at defining an alignment on the Circular Economy specifications to be used in RFP (Request for Proposal) on four Product categories.
- New JAC member company: Elisa
- The upgrade of the on-line collaborative Platform enabling us to manage the audit work with more interaction between auditors, JAC, suppliers and factories
- The adoption of the new JAC audit checklist
- Collaboration with other initiatives for example: GSMA to set targets and methodology aimed at reducing carbon emissions in the supply chain
- Collaboration between JAC to reuse network equipment
- Global network development to increase JAC member companies
- Grow the JAC Academy community
The impact of consumers on the supply chain
Ms. Joyce CHAU, The director Asia Pacific of Amfori has presented the Circular Economy 3.0 – how consumer trends shape sustainable supply chain. This presentation covers the main challenges in Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)’s global retail supply chain and the solutions on how supply chain partners can jointly address the challenges.
Circular Economy regulations in China
Mr. ZHAO Kai, the vice president and secretary general of China Association of Circular Economy has provided an overview of China’s circular economy journey. In his presentation, he talked about the key achievements, the future trends and recommendations for circular economy development in China.
There is an increasing awareness by the consumers on the Circular Economy (CE). This new economic model requires a step by step approach starting from:
1) Alignment on the CE meaning: Minimizing use of natural sources and pollution, maximize energy efficiency,
2) Cross collaboration across different companies, consumers and Universities: homogenization on specifications, KPI measurement, examples of new Business models
3) Institutional Engagement: policy to harmonize CE targets and standard, investment on new technology and green energy
The JAC sector initiative announced the winner of the JAC supplier best practice award at the end of the forum. The awards program recognizes companies that have demonstrated the highest leadership commitment, innovation and achievement of tangible results in delivering excellence through the implementation of best practice in Circular Economy (CE) topics.
Winner: Sagemcom for its Significant practices producing Set Top Boxes and Gateway within an end-to-end CE solution including eco-design, energy efficiency and usage of renewable energy during production of the final products
Highly commended: THALES as best practice in eco design, customer engagement, supply chain engagement and manufacturing de-carbonization
Shortlist: HTC, Nokia, Arcadyan, Vtech
In addition, JAC has awarded 28 performance recognition certificates to suppliers that were audited by JAC over the course of 2018.
JAC is an association of telecom operators aiming to verify, assess and develop the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) implementation across the manufacturing centres of important multinational suppliers of the Information Communication Technology (ICT) industry.
JAC members share resources and best practices to develop long term Corporate Social Responsibility implementation in the different layers or tiers of the ICT Supply Chain globally.